So, it finally happened. After a few years of the same theme, I gave RCG a new look last night.
There are more than a few changes to the site, but the one that will probably stick out the most are:
- New theme. I based it on the Andreas theme by Andreas Viklund. It’s the same theme I’m using on 4realz.net, although I modified it a bit before launching it on 4realz and even more modifications before launching it on RCG.
- New header graphic. I switched out the photos. As part of the process, some of the contributors gave me some photos to use. Deborah Burns was extremely helpful and sent me dozens of photos of which I used both the farmers market and the space needle.
- Updated the color scheme! (If you’re curious, I based the color pattern on color combo 220)
- Author mini-bio at the bottom of ever post. I replaced the one photo that was at the top of every post with a “About the author” section at the bottom of each post. Not only will this make it easier than ever to learn more about the RCG contributors, but it will also mean we won’t have the funny formatting issues that sometimes came with having a photo at the top-right of ever post.
- Page navigation. By moving the page navigation from tabs at the top to the left side, we’ll be able to do a bunch more with page navigation in the near future on the site.
I’m sure there’s even more, but I just wanted to pop off a quick note to get everyone up to speed.
Interestingly, in the process of looking at photos for the new theme, I came across this screenshot of the original RCG site (back when we had only 2 posts!). My how times have changed! 😉
Just realized I should have added that if you have feedback of any kind, especially if something is not working as you’d expect it to work, I’d definitely appreciate hearing about it!
I also wanted to mention that we added “avatars” for all people leaving comments. If you want your own avatar, it’s as simple as signing up for a free one at gravatar.com (and explained in a bit more detail on 4realz).