If you’re been to RCG recently, you’ve undoubtedly noticed that I added Facebook Connect to the sidepanel. I really want to invite you all to use this feature, so I thought I’d let you know why I added it:
- I’m a Facebook addict, love the service, and enjoy connecting with others. I’m thinking there’s at least a few other RCG community members who would enjoy connecting via the service
- I’ve been looking for a way to give a “carrot” to folks who properly identify themselves when they leave comments. I don’t want to “punish” anonymous commenters, I just want to give a bonus to those who aren’t anonymous.
The carrot we’re now offering is two-fold:
- Your comment will bypass almost all of the moderation filters that occasionally slow down a comment from showing up immediately on the site.
- Your profile link will be of the “dofollow” variety.
For most of the folks in the RCG community, I’m positive you’re here because you love the conversation and could care less about the positive link luv RCG can give you. Nonetheless, if you’re willing to identify yourself with your “real” identity, then these two things are just two small carrots we’re now offering…
So, please consider taking advantage by clicking on the “Connect with Facebook” button to the right and follow the simple instructions. As a bonus, after you “connect”, you’ll be able to update your profile on RCG with a few additional fields that will make it easier than ever to connect with others from the RCG community.
And finally, I launched FB Connect on the site despite the fact that I’m not 100% happy with it yet. Here are some problems I’ve found and/or things I’m working on:
- FB Connect plays funny (or doesn’t play at all!) with early versions of Internet Explorer, (especially IE 6.0 and below). This might sound harsh, but my solution is to beg for you to get and use Firefox (or even Chrome), but if you’re not willing to do that, at least get the latest version of IE
- The feature that let’s you “add your comment to your Facebook feed” was giving some folks some problems, so I disabled it. I really like the idea of this feature, so I’ll work on troubleshooting exactly what was causing problems, although I think it had something to do with old versions of IE (see previous comment!).
- I really want the avatar that shows up next to users to default to the “gravatar” instead of the FB avatar. My thought here is that many folks have a “fun” avatar on Facebook, but might prefer to have a more consistent avatar on a business site like RCG. I spent some time trying to get this work and while I made some progress, it’s still not working well enough for me to feel comfortable launching… but hopefully soon.
I have a feeling there’s going to be lots more to come in terms of taking advantage of Facebook tools within RCG in the future. Hopefully, you’ll play along and if there is something that doesn’t appear to be working right or a feature you’d like to see, please let me know!